Monday, May 2, 2011

Blessings


Sometimes blessings come in surprise packages. About a week before Christmas last year, our Bishop called to ask if we would house the missionaries through the holidays. They had a permanent place to live, but could not move in until after New Year's. Any of you who have been to my house are probably thinking the same thing I thought at the time - ummm...where will we put them?? I really didn't know, but the spirit was whispering to me that we needed to help. We talked it over as a family, and decided that we would do it. Then we rolled up our sleeves and got to work. Little did I know that I wasn't just going to house missionaries, I was going to meet two very special young men that would become a part of my family.

The only place that would appropriately accommodate the elders was Charley's basement bedroom. When we asked Charley if he would be willing to give up his room for a couple of weeks for the missionaries, he said yes. He never complained about having to sleep on his brother's floor, even on Christmas Eve. We cleaned up, rearranged, and got everything ready.

I knew that it would be a little crowded, there would be lines for the upstairs bathroom, and that the fridge would bulge. What I didn't know was that my heart, family, and home would be touched by the wonderful spirit that these two elders brought with them. They were polite, friendly, respectful, full of love for the Lord, and so excited to share the gospel. They were very helpful. My sidewalks were shoveled and my garbage was always taken out. They were good examples to my children of what righteous young men should be. They very quickly became dear to us, and we now consider them to be part of our family. They only lived with us for a little over two weeks, but we had them over as often as our schedules would allow after they moved to their permanent home.

Both of those elders have moved on to other areas of the mission, and we miss them very much. We know that they will bless the new people that they meet as much as they have blessed us. New elders have come to continue their work. I am so grateful that we said yes. If you ever have the opportunity to house the missionaries, do it.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

What a neat experience, Christine! (For you AND those missionaries. :)